Culinary internships in Australia
From the country that knows how to produce great master chefs with some of the best dining experiences in the world, we introduce you to our Australian Culinary Internship programme. This working holiday programme applies to recent culinary graduates or those with 6 months of commercial kitchen experience. YDP’s Culinary Internship in Australia programme is an excellent opportunity for students and recent graduates in the culinary industry to spend between six and twelve months in Australia, gaining practical work experience while working abroad. Contact YDP to find a culinary work and study holiday that suits you.
- Aged between 18 and 30 years (there are some exceptions to those over 30 years of age)
- Completed your secondary education (matric certificate / school leavers certificate)
- Either a) Full time tertiary, hospitality student in a nationally recognised tertiary institution completing a minimum of a two year diploma or degree (a minimum of 12 months study having been completed); b) A recent tertiary, hospitality institution graduate (to arrive in Australia within 24 months of your graduation date)
- Proficient in the English language
- In good health and physically fit
- A valid South African passport (or proof that you have applied for one)
- A police clearance certificate
- Ability to demonstrate strong ties to South Africa and a declaration that you will return to South Africa immediately after your internship in Australia
- Having not already been on the programme or on any other internship programme in another country.
Included in the programme fee
- All processing costs in South Africa and Australia
- Application, interview and placement
- Visa application assistance to obtain the necessary 402 Internship Visa for a 6 or 12 month duration
- Pre-departure orientation
- Accommodation assistance
- Online Tax-back application assistance
- Assistance and emergency service through the Australian based partner for the full duration of the programme
The Australia Fair Work Act pays a minimum of AUD $16 to AUD $19 per hour in Food & Beverage, Front Office & Food Production but very often you can earn more. At an average wage of AUD $20 per hour, you have the earning potential of AUD $600 per week, or AUD $2520 per month. We have calculated that it will take you 3 months to pay back your programme fees and 4 months should you include your airfare. You can also apply for Tax-back once you have returned home, for an average 52 week programme, you will receive approximately AUD $8500 back through Tax-back.
Interns will be required to follow a structured training plan while participating in the programme with 30 hours of work per week and 2 days off per week. Overtime will be paid for over 45 hours worked.
Once you have registered for the programme and paid your registration fee, YDP will assist you in completing your application forms and perform your personal interview. Your application file will then be sent to our placement partner who may request a further interview or additional documentation. Once you have been accepted onto the programme by our partner, you will be placed in a position. The next step will be the visa application process and once approved you will be on your way.
|1.||Once off YDP registration fee (non negotiable non refundable payment)||R 350|
|2.||Part programme fee||AUD $1000|
|3.||Final programme fee (Dependent on duration)||AUD $1800 AUD $3300|
International return airfares & local transport to your destination
Australian Visa fee and processing
Comprehensive medical and liability insurance (Dependent on duration)
|AUD $600 AUD $1120|
Australia is a must visit destination.