Self placement internships in the USA
Too often graduates head out to work interviews and are turned down for the position due to lack of experience. Why not get international experience and work overseas? The land of opportunity, America has wonderful internships that not only provide work experience but also the chance to enjoy a wonderful holiday package. See it as an extension of your studies while making money, travelling and forging international contacts for a lifetime career. You can either arrange your American internship independently, wherein YDP will facilitate the entire American visa process, or for limited fields we can assist you by placing you in an internship.
The Career Internship programme is a mutually rewarding experience for both interns and the companies that host them. Through structured on-the-job training, international students and young professionals learn useful American methodologies and professional techniques, while helping host companies to internationalize and diversify their workplace. Got any questions about the most exciting career move of your life?
- Aged between 20 and 30 years (there are some exceptions to those over 30 years of age)
- Completed your secondary education (matric certificate / school leavers certificate)
- Either a) Full time student; b) A recent graduate (within 12 months); c) A minimum of two years of full time tertiary education in the fields of your study; d) A minimum of five years certifiable work experience in the fields of your study
- Proficient in the English language
- In good health and physically fit
- A valid South African passport (or proof that you have applied for one)
- A police clearance certificate
Included in the program fee
- Health, accident and liability insurance for the duration of the programme (maximum of 12 months)
- All processing costs in South Africa and the USA
- Application, interview and placement
- Visa application assistance for DS-2019 (J-1 internship visa) for a 12 month duration with the America Consulate
- Pre-departure orientation
- Participant handbook and guide
- Accommodation assistance
- Online Tax-back application assistance
- Assistance and emergency service through the USA based partner for the full duration of the programme
- US SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) Fee of $180
Remuneration is based on experience and varies from position to position. Expect to be earn between USD $1000 and USD $3000 per month. Generally the lesser paid internships offer perks such as free housing etc.
Interns will be required to follow a structured training plan while participating in the programme with 32 hours of work per week and 2 days off per week. Overtime will be paid for over 45 hours worked.
Once you have registered for the programme and paid your registration fee, you need to make an appointment to see your nearest YDP office for an interview, where you will also be required, if successful, to pay your interview fee. At this interview / meeting we ensure you are eligible for the programme and understand exactly what this programme will do for your career. We also provide you with the tools to write the perfect Resume (American term for CV), and also what you need to say in your covering letter so that prospective employees understand that they don’t have to get you the visa as YDP and our American partners are the sponsors for the J1 Internship via. We will, once your covering letter and Resume is perfect, show you the tools and places to find an internship, or in some cases send your file (Covering letter and Resume) to some of our American partners who have employers on their database looking for interns. It is much cheaper to find your own internship and it is easy with our help and invaluable resources. Once you or our partner has found you an internship, they have to compile a training plan which must be lodged with the American government, and then the (DS) forms are issued and couriered out to your nearest office, which you use to go to the USA Consulate in either Johannesburg, Durban or Cape Town to physically apply for your J1 visa. Once you have that you can book your ticket.
|1.||Once off YDP registration fee||R 350.00|
|2.||Part Programme Fee||USD $1050|
|3.||Final Programme Fee (dependent on the duration of the programme)||USD $1300 – $2000)|
|4||International Return Airfares and local transport to your destination||SQ|
|5.||American Consular Fee||USD $160|