Au Pair in the USA
To be an Au Pair is a life changing experience. Don’t take our word for it (even though we have sent over 30 000 happy peeps overseas), take it from one of our YDP Au Pairs… ” These past nine months have been life changing. I have an awesome host family,who make me feel so comfortable and I have met crazy amazing people and formed good friendships. I have grown as a person and become more independent. I have learnt so much and gained a lot of experience. My aupair adventure is definitely memorable and shall be cherished”. Noelle Jansen (2017). Apply today to start your adventure.
Everyone has a dream to travel the world and see places that they’ve only been able to read about. Au pair jobs in the USA offer you the chance to fulfil your dream to travel while enabling you to become part of a new family and experience a new culture for a year. American families also view this experience as a way for them to ‘travel’ without having to go anywhere. Being an au pair is not only about working abroad while working for a family but being involved in a one year work exchange programme – an exchange of cultures, languages and friendship.
- Aged between 18 and 26 years
- Completed your secondary education (matric certificate / school leavers certificate)
- Proficient in the English language
- Single with no dependants (never been married/divorced)
- In good health and physically fit
- A valid South African passport (or proof that you have applied for one)
- A valid driver’s license (or learner’s licence and in the process of applying for driver’s license)
- A police clearance certificate (YDP will apply for this on your behalf)
- A minimum of 2 child-care references from non-relatives
- A minimum of 500 hours of babysitting and experience with children under the age of two (preferred)
- Commitment to a full year (12 months) au pairing in USA
Included in the program fee
- Return airfare to USA from Johannesburg, Cape Town or Durban paid on completion of the 12 month programme
- Up to USD 500 worth of study allowance
- International travel health insurance for the duration of the programme (12 months)
- All processing costs in South Africa & USA
- Recruitment, screening & selecting of host families
- Application, interview and placement fees
- You will earn a minimum of USD 195.75 weekly for a maximum of 45 hours of au pairing with 1.5 days off per week
- Accommodation and meals provided by the host family
- 2 weeks of paid holiday
You must be prepared to work 45 hours a week and to do light household duties. You will have one and a half days off per week, one full weekend off each month as well as two weeks paid leave during your year. You will be expected to do babysitting, but this is part of your 45-hour week.
Once you have registered for the au pair programme and paid your registration fee, YDP will assist you in completing your au pair application. Upon receiving all of the necessary documentation, your file will be sent to our placement partner abroad which will then be reviewed within 24 hours. The matching process with a host family then begins. Once your dedicated au pair consultant has received information from our placement partner about a potential host family, you will be notified immediately so that you are prepared for your telephone call from the host family. Having accepted your host family, your next step will be the visa application and upon approval you will be on your way.
|1.||Once off YDP registration fee||R 350|
|2.||Programme Fee||R 5995|
|3.||American Consular Visa Fee||USD $160|
It is truly fantastic here in the US. I love it so so much. I learned so much about the American culture and I made some life long friends from all over the world, so I’m definitely also learning about their cultures! I’ve been to Florida, Texas and North Carolina so far. And of course, New York City was the BEST experience ever. The snow was amazing and the busy city was a different experience. My host family is amazing and the kids are so sweet. Summer vacation starts today and then the fun starts!!
I’m truly having the time of my life!
I miss my family, dogs and friends back home in Cape Town, but I have no regrets doing a gap year in another country!